----- Original Message -----
From: Shreyas Sampat <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 13:53:36 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Why doesn't English permit tl or dl as true consonant combinations?

"other examples I dug up from a search on OneLook (also pretty restricted in
use) include the proper nouns Tlingit and Tlaloc, some Nahuatl placenames
in Mexico, and a bunchload of other proper nouns from all over the world.
I've seen people trip over Tlingit and Tlaloc often enough to believe that
English speakers are resistant to that sequence in initial position for
phonological reasons and not simply because of a historically motivated but
otherwise accidental gap in the lexicon."

A Mexican restaurant has been opened in our area (Galax, VA, in the southwest of the state) with the name Tlaquepaque. The owners have told me that it's a place name from where the come. The local pronunciation is usually ta-la-ke-pa-ke.
Charlie