When reading something in Korean I sometimes come across something like this
캣(고양이)과 (kaes(goyangri)gwa)
With Cat(goyangri)

It would be 고양이와 (goyangriwa)

과 (gwa) comes after consonants, and 와 (wa) after vowels.

It has always bugged me on (how/whether) to pronounce words in parentheses in Korean, because the particles seem to ignore what is in the parentheses.

I have come up with three methods to resolve this.

1. Completely ignore what is the the parentheses, 캣과 (kaesreun)
2. Say what is in the parentheses after the particle with its own particle (캣과 고양이와 kaesgwa gowangriwa)
3. Say what is in the parentheses before so that the particle cannot be affected by it. 고양이 캣과 (gowangi kaesgwa).