I just realised my example might have been off.

date @datingMethod=“liturgical” @when-custom=“xxx-xx”

@lou I agree that combining @when-custom with @when is best whenever it is possible. But if the text e.g. just walks through the liturgical calendar to recommend sunday prayers, just @when-custom is the way to go, imv. As long as calendarDesc actually explains your normalized calendar. This has the advantage that you can easily determine how many (sun-)days have passed between "xmas-02" and "lent-05"

P.S.: I m just improvising possible attribute values, I ve never tried to encode liturgical dates, but I d be surprised if no one has.

On 2. Nov 2017, at 16:45, Martin Holmes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Lou,

I seem to remember that older versions of ISO 8601 allowed for partial dates (October 10, year unknown; the 10th of something in 1901). This was done by using dashes for the missing bit. So there's at least a history of allowing dates which can't be resolved precisely to be encoded with our dating attributes.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2017-11-02 03:56 AM, Lou Burnard wrote:
Maybe I am being needlessly precise, but I thought these attributes (like the others members of att.dating)  were intended to normalize the referent of a date to its expression in  some calendar, i.e. their value should indicate a specific point in time, not a generic named point on a calendar. You can't (obviously) know which actual point in time the second Sunday  after Easter is, unless you know when Easter is, and that will depend which year you are in, amongst other arcana. Of course this is not a distinction that you may always wish (or be able) to make, but I wonder whether using the normalizing attributes is appropriate?