Thank you for your replies. I guess <trait> may be good enough.

I am currently working with prosopographic descriptions of XVII Century
European writers, historians and scientists. There is no information
recorded about race or ethnicity... I guess that is because they were all
white and caucasian, but maybe this is a wrong assumption (it would be
great to find it out).

The question arose in the context of a theoretical discussion about
representing identity with TEI. I do not have a user case, but I think
encoding and retrieving race might be relevant in projects that focus on
contemporary writers and artists.

Best,

--
​Antonio Rojas Castro
Postdoctoral Researcher, Cologne Center for eHumanities