On 28/11/2017 07:39, And Rosta wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2017 03:55, "jonathon" wrote:
>>
>> On 11/27/2017 08:29 PM, And Rosta wrote:
>>> believe, are not currently mainstream), Neanderthal language
>>> lacked semanticosyntactic (but not phonological)
>>> compositionality, so one
>>
>> Whatever happened to the theory that Basque is a holdover from the
>>  language used by Neanderthals?
>
> If such a theory ever existed, it appears to have attained the
> oblivion it deserves.

It existed and is still around as a quick Google will attest, e.g.
http://www.aoi.com.au/bcw/neanderbasque.htm

As Basque at some time or other by someone or other has 'been shown' to
be cognate with practically every known language group and, especially,
every known language 'isolate', I guess it was invitable that someone
would go further and claim a Neanderthal origin.

> Although all theories about Neanderthalese are speculative, it is
> still possible to rationally distinguish between the plausible and
> the daft.

Yes, and, as you imply, the idea that Basque is a holdover from the
language of Neanderthals is daft.  But IME the crazier a theory is the
more resistant it is t falling into oiblivion.

Ray