I’m looking for a reasonably well featured sound change applier, but I have been repeatedly frustrated. I’ve been working through the list at http://www.frathwiki.com/Software_tools_for_conlanging. The link to ASCA is broken. VSCA looked promising, but it proved to be hopelessly slow with many types of rules, and I gave up on it entirely when it also proved to have severe bugs (not applying changes sometimes – seemingly at random – when it should. I moved on to Geoff’s SCA (v.0.8), which looked good from the documentation, but I can’t get it to work if either the lex list or the rules contain non-IPA characters, despite the fact it is supposed to default to utf-8! (It’s possible this is a Windows issue; I only have access to a Windows machine at the moment, and I traced a different problem to Windows newlines. Or not.)

Can anyone advise me (a) how to get Geoff’s SCA to work, if it can be made to work, or (b) what other SCAs, if any, are any good, so I don’t have to go through them one by one, learning how to use them, only to find that they don’t work as advertised?

Many thanks.

Ian