Thanks to all who responded off list to this request for help. If anyone else has information, compiled or anecdotal, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey L. Ruben, MD, MMM, FACEP, FAAP
Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Allegheny Health Network Emergency Medicine Management

> On December 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM G/DR RUBEN <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>     Good morning,
>

>     My organization is considering/planning on adding a pediatric ED to the new ED being built at one of our suburban hospitals. As you might imagine, there is some resistance from the bean counters. Unfortunately, the data on ED visits from the surrounding communities is proprietary with the insurance companies.
>

>     The scenario: suburban community hospital 15 miles from an inner city children's hospital. The community hospital does not have a reputation for being pediatric oriented It is just beginning to resurrect its pediatric care service line.
>

>     The ED currently has about 6% pediatric census. There are pediatric patients in the surrounding communities but they tend to go to urgent cares or parents self select to make the trek into the city.
>

>     Does anyone have experience, preferably accompanied by data, they can share on changes in pediatric volume following the opening of a (similar) Peds ED? Any other suggestions on how to come by such data?
>

>     Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to contact me off list.
>

>     Thank you!
>

>     Geoff
>

>     Geoffrey L. Ruben, MD, MMM, FACEP, FAAP
>     Director of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
>     Allegheny Health Network Emergency Medicine Management

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html