Dear TEI-L,

With apologies for having to respond to my own posting (that is, for not having finished the thought before hitting the “send” button), I do more with these types of external links than just convert them into in-place links to be rendered. For example, as in the Mitford project that Elisa described earlier, my XSLT sometimes pulls and formats selected information from a personography or other external file and pokes it into the output of converting a different file not as a link, but as rendered textual information. Putting the external base URLs in a standard place, as supported by private URL schemes, enables a developer to construct a full URL in a consistent way, but different developers will want different things for different purposes. If the original question was about the official stylesheets, I wouldn’t ask a generic toolbox stylesheet to be able to anticipate that variety of needs.

Best,

David

From: TEI-L <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David Birnbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, December 11, 2017 at 6:26 PM
To: TEI-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Rendering personography

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing

Feedback

Dear Chris (cc TEI-L),

Yep. I write my own XSLT or XQuery to convert my TEI to my target output, so that’s where I unpack the private URL scheme and construct a link that will work in the output. If the question was about whether the stylesheets distributed by the TEI know how to process private URL schemes and construct working links for all of the supported output formats, I don’t know, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Best,

David