> On Dec 5, 2017, at 10:32 AM, C. M. Sperberg-McQueen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> It's not completely clear what you are denoting with the word “lemma”
> here.
>
> If by “lemma” you mean a word or phrase appearing in the source text,
> I believe I have used ‘q’ for that in the past.  That's the sense in
> which I would normally interpret 'lemma' in the context of a
> commentary (text-critical or other).
>
> If by “lemma” you mean the dictionary or lookup form of a word, as it
> might appear in a discussion of the word’s usage, I’ve used
> ‘mentioned’ for that.  That's the sense suggested by your meditation
> on whether to repurpose the element from the dictionary tag set.

Martin Mueller’s response and a re-reading of your mail suggest
a third option:  by ‘lemma’ you might mean the typographically marked
bit at the beginning of an entry that (a) marks the beginning of a
new entry, (b) labels it, and (c) identifies the passage being
commented on, normally by giving a reference to the location
or quoting the passage, or both.

In tagging my example, I started to tag it ‘label’, as suggested by MM,
then recollected that “3.362” is a canonical reference to a sentence
in the Tractatus and retagged it ‘ref’.  (And then, uncertain whether one
could count on the rule that the first ‘ref’ element in an entry is
always its label, added rend=“b” to distinguish it from the other
refs in the entry which are not bold.

In real project work, I would almost certainly introduce project-specific
elements for entries and for their most important structural constituents,
like the reference at the beginning; it makes it easier to write the
rules for encoding the text, it makes it easier to validate the text,
it makes it easier to write stylesheets, and it makes it easier to
distinguish in queries between commentary entries about a particular
passage and references to that passage from entries on other
passages.

But then, I have the impression that I have a lower threshold for
wanting to customize the TEI, and a higher tolerance for extensions,
than many other people.  When encoding a single text, I want to
spend more time worrying about my responsibility to the text than
about ways to get by without customizing the TEI.

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC
http://www.blackmesatech.com