ACEP has a good resource on using observation codes (https://www.acep.org/Clinical---Practice-Management/Observation---Physician-Coding-FAQ/)

You probably can't use the observation codes for boarding psychiatric patients since your have actually made a determination that they need inpatient psychiatric services. Observation codes are used when:

·         There is a lack of diagnosis certainty

·         Where therapeutic intensity may abate the patient’s need for inpatient admission

Some professional societies are looking at possible additions to the CPT© codes to be able to report these services.

As far as the post-op patients, the surgeons are responsible for their post-operative care as part of the post-service work so you couldn't report professional observation services for that group either.

Jeff

Jeffrey Linzer Sr., MD, FAAP, FACEP
Associate Medical Director for Compliance
EPG/Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta

[cid:[log in to unmask]]