From: Matt Wilkinson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 9:35 AM
To: Brown, Julie
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: statistical help

The calculation is very simple if you want to do it yourself. Using the Poisson distribution any time period which on average yields 3 events will have a 95% chance of yielding AT LEAST 1.

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/poisson.aspx<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__stattrek.com_online-2Dcalculator_poisson.aspx&d=DwMFaQ&c=aBkXpkKi7gN5fe5MqrMaN-VmRugaRb1IDRfSv2xVRy0&r=LdGMXlGHIBSSsmyYogxTzCzExtS2cqT3uVO-vyNVnd8&m=lf14hN8Qv3j6hNjyxMriH30ZMLN6fdlYQHJX5dqScTQ&s=hQ_P711w7mRzQWEk2Si8A-zia3ERuoLp003uQOfZF8A&e=>

Example: there were 70 school shootings with at least 1 death in the past 10 years in the US. Rate = 7/year. On average there are 3 every 5 months. So there is a 95% chance there will be at least one school shooting with a death in this country in the next 5 months. On average there will be 3.

And yes this is morbid. So is the situation. Of course we could all move to Canada where apparently they have solved the problem of mental illness.

MW