I'll have to agree with Doc here...nonsequitar.  Everyone else has these
issue too but the guns do separate us from the others, and markedly so.

I would also like to address this ridiculous idea that the discussion
around an assault weapons ban, background checks, and other very reasonable
and minimal interventions into this debate, has been "politicized" or is
somehow a "left wing" agenda.  Here are a few facts:

1) Ronald Reagan and G.W Bush BOTH supported the Brady Bill.  Last time I
checked both of them were republicans and Reagan's memory is still brought
up on regular basis by the GOP...so, seems pretty legit to me.

2) GW Bush was vilified by the NRA and the ATF were accused of being "jack
booted thugs" by the NRA during his term when Bush supported the ban on
teflon bullets.  For those who are not gun people...teflon bullets are one
of the only rounds that will penetrate kevlar body armour, which is warn by
Law Enforcement for the protection while they are on duty.  Thus, they are
called "cop killer rounds" and because he removed them from sale for the
civilian population, he was vilified.

3) Such notorious "liberals", I am being facetious here, as Joe
Scarborough, Bret Stevens have argued in favor of it, as have MANY other
conservatives.

4) The idea that the "government is coming for your guns" has been pushed
by the right with NO evidence in support of it or any actual law being
passed.  Add to this the facts that sites like Brietbart and Alex Jones
have pushed crackpot theories that shootings like Sandy Hook were "false
flag attacks", and it seems pretty clear who is politicizing this debate.

Finally, as I write this there are now reports in right wing media that
claim that the teenagers who have shown incredible grace, courage, dignity
and intelligence in the aftermath of their friend's being murdered, are no
being accused of being "paid actors" that are pushing an agenda...

It would be nice if the adults in this debate actually showed as much
courage and dignity and these 17/18 year olds.  This not a "conservative"
or "liberal" issue...this is a life or death issue.  And last time I
checked, we were in the business of averting death when possible.  I'll end
with this quote from Jefferson, since he was one the principle authors of
the Constitution, it seemed relevant.

"A strict observance of the written law is doubtless one of the high duties
of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of
self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher
obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to the written
law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all
those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the ends to
the means."

Mike Falk
NY. NY.

                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html