The year speed limit laws went into effect-->traffic deaths down 17%.
Mothers against Drunk Driving, stricter DUI enforcement  laws-->cut deaths
due to drunk driving by half every year since 1980. Seat belt safety laws,
traffic laws-all created to protect the public.  As a public health trained
physician, it seems so illogical to me that we would not create stricter
gun laws especially against military style guns for the civilian
population.  Let's start there.

Problem- Mass shootings
Prevention- Ban assault rifles

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 7:42 AM, Terence Bergmann <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Joe
>
> I disagree about ‘strict gun control laws’ here having anything to do with
> it .  Either you or I could have a new hunting rifle in a week or two in
> Canada.  If you look at the school shootings or the Vegas massacre these
> are not people who acquired their guns and went slaughtering.  These guns
> were acquired and the armamentarium prepped and the plans made.  Canadian
> laws would not stop this.
>
> We have a different culture here in Canada.  Guns are not toted around in
> public.  Thankfully the 49th parallel prevented the ‘western’ mentality
> from flourishing on our side of the border.  I don’t know why.
>
> The challenge to end ‘their’ problem is that once the bad guys are armed
> with illegal guns how do you stop the populace from wanting to have legal
> guns?
>
> Somehow other countries can have legal weapons, such as Swiss adults all
> keeping their weapons at home after their years of mandatory service, yet
> they don’t kill each other with them.  Somehow a well armed militia there
> does not lead to violence.
>
> I have lots of questions, but I don’t know the answers.
>
> Terence
>
> On Feb 17, 2018, at 2:43 PM, Joe Nemeth, Dr <[log in to unmask]<mailto:j
> [log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
> Disclaimer: I live in Canada and  love our very strict gun control laws.

> message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:

Deepti Thomas-Paulose, MD, MPH
Fellowship Director
Global Health Division
Mt. Sinai St.Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center
http://www.slredglobalhealth.org

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html