A Walker Scott <[log in to unmask]>:

> I recently started a blog, and I'm compiling a list of conlangs, both
> actual and hinted at, in films and in print media.

I would love to read your blog. What is the url?

> This next post will be about natlangs being used as alien languages. the
> first example that came to mind was Tenctonese, which is mostly mangled
> Russian.

I guess I may be a bit too late with this reply, but Tenctonese was
actually later developed into a "full" conlang for the TV series of
the same name. The TV series language apparently had very little in
common with the original movie language, though.

> I know there must be other examples, probably a lot of them,
> including the claims that the language Greedo speaks in Star Wars is one of
> several different African languages (sources disagree).

I read somewhere (possibly on this list) that the only "official" and
functional conlang in the Star Wars universe is the Mandalorian
language seen in the Imperial Commando series of novels by Karen
Traviss.

Both TV Tenctonese and Mandalorian have receieved pretty bad "reviews"
by conlangers. Not being made by linguists, they are apparently pretty
unrealistic and in some respects very similar to English.

> Does anyone have favorites they'd like to toss my way?

I can think of no natlangs used as fictional langs, but there are
plenty of interesting conlangs. A personal favourite is the Martial
language in Percy Greg's 19th Century novel Across the Zodiac, perhaps
the first fictional alien conlang. You can find an analysis of it in
the first (and only) issue of the magazine Invented Languages:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/various-authors/invented-languages-1/paperback/product-2838506.html

The Bandrikan language in Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes is another one
I like (it has no aliens, of course, but it is a movie language). It
is probably not a proper conlang (I would love to analyze it some day,
time permitting), but it is an early example of a fictional language
in a movie.

I wrote a blog post about it myself:

https://silverinahaystack.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/the-lady-vanishes-1938/

   /Fredrik