When I was a 9 y/o, I used a facebook-like website for my class called
Edmodo to post about homework and ask questions. On April Fools Day, I
posted saying I was a descendant of the princess of a lost kingdom in
Antarctica called Atlaticaesin. I don't exactly know why I did this: maybe
I thought I was being funny. However, prior to that, my "friend" was making
fun of me for not buying expensive clothing (she's VERY rich). I might have
been trying to one up her???
Anyway, I designed a Frozen-esque kingdom, wore a crown to school, and said
a fictional man named Dan Grelby told me I was a princess, but had to keep
it a secret. Somehow, some kids from my school believed me. There was this
one kid in my class who would always say "You're not a princess Ryanna,"
every time I walked by him.
To make it more believable, I thought I should make a language for it.
Originally, it started off as a Caesar code (the Caesar code still plays an
important role in modern Atlatikahe) with no constructed grammar- just
direct transcriptions of English words. I'd spend time with my 3 friends in
the school library trying to teach it to them.

A year later I graduated from 5th grade and completely forgot about
everything. The summer between 6th grade and seventh grade, I suddenly
remembered the language and started using it again. This time, I made a
script for it, made spelling/pronunciation rules and started making the
grammar. Icelandic was my first exposure to other grammatical cases and
genders. I began experimenting with things based on that, ending with the
nominative, accusative, and dative cases that I still use today. I tried
using genders but scrapped it. Atlatikahe has a lot of affixes thst can
mark gender if the speaker wants to be specific.
As I made the language, I thought about the kingdom that started it.
Clearly, there is no evidence of a euro-centric kingdom in Antarctica, but
it was the gateway for thinking about what hypothetical indigenous people
in Antarctica would be like (if it were possible). Most of 7th grade for me
was studying Antarctica and the type of things the people would use to
thrive. I'm in the works of creating a religion and theorizing how they
might've gotten there.
In 7th grade I learned about the word "conlanger" and it immediately became
apart of my identity. I became interested in linguistics and started
creating more languages. None of them have been fleshed out enough, they
are merely scripts and ideas for grammar.

Here I am now in 8th grade. I've only been conlanging for a short amount of
time but I love it! I wish I could somehow make this a career. I see things
that inspire scripts or jokelangs. The threading on my pants is coming
undone? That looks like a really cool script. What would happen if I made a
language for the trashcans at Starbucks but verbs inflect based on what's
listed as a recycable? Who knows?!? This is so fun and I can't wait to see
how far I'll come with Atlatikahe and future conlangs.
In 15 years, be on the look out in for an animated miniseries about some
fake people from Antarctica- hopefully entirely spoken in Atlatikahe.

Cheers!
Ryanna