So, I've started adding some basic root words to my conlang (which now
has a name by the way, it's called Tamuni). I've encountered a problem,
however.

I thought it logical to start by creating some simple, one-syllable root
words to convey simpler concepts, and create derivations and more
complicated words later.

However, a problem quickly arose: My language, being roughly modeled off
of Polynesian languages, has a very restrictive syllable structure and
phonetic inventory. There are only 11 consonants (excluding the glottal
stop, which words cannot start with), and 8 vowel sounds (including
dipthongs.) The syllable structure is (C)(C)V, but the only allowed
pairs are tr, kr, fr, kl, and fl, so when you do the math, this comes up
with only 136 possible single-syllable words.

Although that is a decent amount, it's certainly not enough to convey
all the different simple meanings that I would want. Then, there's also
the fact that single-syllable words are probably likely to have a more
grammatical function, and that if every single one of those
single-syllable words had a meaning, then longer words could be somewhat
confusing, as they might seem to be combinations of two root words, when
they're really not at all.

So, how many simple, non-grammatical root words should I roughly aim
for? What kinds of meanings should they be assigned to?