First I want to thank everyone who responded to my post about conlang
fluency. It's a big frustration I've been having and I'm trying hard to get
past it.

Now, my next question. I was thinking about definite articles and I wondered
if I could actually replace "the" with the equivalent of "this" and "that"
and so on. So essentially instead of saying "the cat" you would have to say
"this cat" or "that cat". Is this something real languages do? Is there
anything I would need to be careful of or watch out for if I went this
route?

Thanks for everyone's help.