On 03/02/2018 17:30, Raymond Brown wrote:
[snip]

> Terms derived from Latin still exist in all the Romancelangs as
> alternatives for the compass points.  but the more commonly used
> names came into Old French along with several other nautical
> borrowings from the sea-faring Norse and Old English, thus:
>
> O.E.   FRENCH  CATALAN SPANISH PORT.    ITALIAN RUMANSCH  ROMANIAN
> norð   nord    nord    norte   norte    nord    nord      nord
> east   est     est     este   (l)este   est     ost       est
> suð    sud     sud     sur     sul      sud     sid/süd   sud
> west   ouest   oest    oeste   oeste    ovest   vest      vest

Although I have written Old English _norð_ and _suð_, I could akso have
correctly written _norþ_ and _suþ_ since _ð_ and _þ_ were alternate ways
of writing the same phoneme (the Icelandic convention of using _þ_ for
the voiceless sound, and _ð_ for the voiced one was unknown in Old
English.

On Britainese 'Preliminary Considerations' page I wrote: "I said on the
Introduction page that I shall be aware of areal features such as the
development of progressive tenses and the retention of [θ] and [ð],
since the peoples of Britain will not differ very much in BART from
those in our own timeline."
(Needs correction, as retention of [θ] and [ð] is no longer mentioned on
the Itroduction page).

Tho [ð] will certainly occurred and did also occur in the earliest
French as a lenition of Latin [d] between vowels, there is no way in
Britainese that [θ] would have developed from Vulgar Latin so at the
moment Britainese has only [ð].

Early French FWIW also had [θ] because all word final plosives and
fricatives were unvoiced (as in German & Russian).  Thus, e.g.
Latin _fide(m)_/ VL _fede_ -> Old French  _feiḍ_, _foiḍ_ -> Eng. _faith_.

The early French _ḍ_ = [[ð]] or, in final position [θ].  Later in the
Old French period both sounds became silent    :(

So:
> I suppose at this I should add Britainese.  :)
>
> nordh /norð/
> est
> sudh /sið/
> west

Should I have written _north /norθ/_ and _suth_ /siθ/_?

There is no doubt that the Britainese scribes would have used the graphy
_th_ already known in Latin for this sound.  But is borrowing it in loan
words from Germanic enough for this sound to become part of Britainese?
  If so, what other loan words?

> Note: orthography still not fixed; [ð] might be written _đ_ or _dh_
> (or possibly _ð_ - tho Britainese is a Romance, not a Germanic,
> lang.).  But I think _dh_, which is found in early French, is the
> most likely.  I had even considered _z_    :)

The above discussion on spelling of [ð] still holds true.

Ray