On 04/02/2018 16:07, David McCann wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 17:30:04 +0000 Raymond Brown wrote:

[snip]
>> Terms derived from Latin still exist in all the Romancelangs as
>> alternatives for the compass points.  but the more commonly used
>> names came into Old French along with several other nautical
>> borrowings from the sea-faring Norse and Old English, thus:
>>
>> I suppose at this I should add Britainese.  :)
>
> I resisted the Germanisms in Liburnese:

Good for Liburnese; over in the Balkans it would not have been so
suspectible to Germanic roots passed on from Old French.  But I notice
the Germanic words are now the normal ones in Romanian.  I guess they
probably came during the 19th century together with other Frenchisms.

> N: burh (Gk boreos)
> S: mirijan (merideanus)
> E: urhent (oriens)
> W: uxident (occidens)

All the Romancelangs do still have cognates with your S, E and W above
which are alternatives words for the relevant compass points.  Similar
words will exist in Britainese also.

> Incidentally, I wonder why the Germanic "soup" is found across
> Europe, from Spain to Poland?

Can't speak for Polish, but in the Romance languages and, I'd guess,
Greek also, it's because Late Latin has _suppa_ "bread soaked in broth."

> Again, Liburnese goes uts own way with "pulta".

The regular development of _suppa_ to Britainese would be:
suppa -> souppe /soupÉ™/ -> /supÉ™/ -> soup /sup/

Ray