On 05/02/2018 14:26, Pete Bleackley wrote:
> staving Ray Brown:
>

>> Correct, and that only before /a/.  As for the finals, we might
>> have expected _aque_ /'akwə/ and _lengue_ /'lengwə/ in early
>> Britainese.  But the question arises about what happens when final
>> [ə] falls sient in later Britainese.

OOPS - big mistake there!  I should have written _ague_ /'agwə/

> It seems that your two main options are either  w => u / C_# giving
> aku, lengu
>
> Or kw, gw => p, b / _#
>
> giving ap, lemb

Or rather _ab_ and _lemb_.  I like _ab_ and _lemb_ but, as I observed
with vowels in an earlier email, it's not a question of what I like but
of what is most/more plausible.

I've been using Welsh, English and French as 'control languages' from
our time-line in suggesting areal features or the sort of way that
people on this island might have developed their Romancelang.
Attractive as I may find _ab_ and _lemb_, I think something along the
lines of _agʷ_ and _lengʷ_ is more plausible.

On 05/02/2018 14:35, And Rosta wrote:[snip]

> IIRC in Britainese a final postconsonantal liquid CL# <  CL@#
> becomes syllabic, or, equivalently, is reanalysed as [log in to unmask]

Yes, becomes syllabic (which _may_ be realized as short svarabhakti
vowel before the liquid).

> By analogy with that, rather than actual Romance exemplars, I would
> predict /ak[u]/ and /leng[u]/. (But perhaps still /akw-/ and
> /lengw-/ when vowel-initial suffixes follow.)

Yes, I must think on this.   As vowel /u/ had shifted to /y/ and then
/i/, the spellings _agu_ and _lengu_ won't do.  I suppose analogy with
_padre_ -> _padr_ and _homne_ -> _homn_ should mean _agw_ and _lengw_
respectively - um, looks a bit Welsh.  ;)

Ray