Hallo conlangers!

On 06/02/2018 21:23, Aidan Aannestad wrote:

> The recent discussion of Raymond Brown's (really quite lovely)
> Britainese has gotten me wondering who else out there is engaged in
> altlanging projects. I'm aware of Carrajina and Liburnese as (I think)
> other examples in the Romance family; I've missed any discussion of
> any other such projects if there has been any.

You are probably aware of Ill Bethisad, a collaborative alternative
history world which crystallized around Andrew Smith's Brithenig (like
Britainese, a Romance language of Britain, but the approach is a
different one, and the language quite different from Britainese); see
http://ib.frath.net/ - there are many Romance conlangs and a few others
out there.

A guy named Carlos Thompson had an alternative America full of conlangs
when I joined the list, but I haven't heard of him for a very long time.
The thing was named "Zera", and all I remember are some language names
such as Hangkerim and Lemuraki.

Then there is Novegradian by Martin Posthumus
(https://www.veche.net/novegradian), a nicely-crafted "North Slavic"
language. Others also have created North Slavic languages, of varying
qualities. (Well, if there is West, East and South Slavic, there
"obviously has to be" North Slavic as well, all of them thought. Martin
Posthumus also has a Semitic language of Cyprus, Alashian
(https://www.veche.net/alashian).

My conlangs are mostly altlangs, too, though the difference of my
alternative world from the real world is limited to the survival of some
hypothetical linguistic lineages that went extinct in the real world. In
2004, I set up a collaborative framework for such languages, the "League
of Lost Languages" (LLL), whose home page is on FrathWiki -
http://www.frathwiki.com/League_of_Lost_Languages

Hence, this kind of altlangs are called "lostlangs" in these quarters.
However, I seem to be the only person left who is still actively working
on his contributions to that framework. The flagship of my lostlangs is
Old Albic on which I have been working since 2002 or so, but I have
ideas for various other languages related or otherwise connected to it.
Old Albic is a member of a family I call "Hesperic", which I fancy to be
related to Indo-European and have been spoken in much of western Europe
before the spread of IE proper. A second family, "Tommian", related to
Kartvelian in a similar way as Hesperic is to IE, and meant to represent
the (in reality utterly unknown) language of the first Neolithic farmers
of Central Europe and its descendants, is currently taking shape in my mind.

Another of my altlangs is Roman Germanech, a Romance language of
Germany, made in 2001 and originally meant for Ill Bethisad, but now
representing a tiny pocket of Romance in southwestern Germany as a
lostlang. From my current vantage point, it is not particularly well done.

There are quite a few lostlang ideas in my head waiting to be explored,
but first, I need to get Old Albic done!

> I personally have been working on a family of Japanese dialects for an
> alt-historical western North America that I hope is somewhat close to
> the standards of realism Britainese adheres to (though I'm far from as
> well-versed in my topic as Raymond is in his, and he's got a bit more
> info to work with than I do). These aren't separate languages from
> Japanese Japanese; they split off between about 1650 and 1750 and so
> retain almost complete mutual intelligibility. I've got an in-progress
> Google doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYKIWUGspdV1hte52e_pneSuI5l3OV66njEL5r1tAhY/edit?usp=sharing>
> that I'd love to get some comments on, if anyone has the time and
> inclination.

An interesting project, I must say!

> I'd also love to hear about anyone else's attempts at high-realism
> altlanging. Any projects outside of Romance, or outside of IE entirely
> like mine? I thoroughly enjoyed reading through Raymond's pages about
> Britainese, and I bet I'd enjoy yours too!

I try to be highly realistic in my languages. For Old Albic and the
Hesperic family, I do research into substratum loanwords in western
European IE languages, the changes of Insular Celtic languages away from
the "Common IE" model, and into the prehistory of PIE. Quite a lot of
effort for a handful of conlangs, but I want to do something really,
really good, and to me this is fun and fascinating! By now, I am perhaps
one of the most knowledgeable persons on the subject of prehistoric
European languages before the spread of Indo-European ;)

Few altlangs, though, attain the quality of Britainese. For instance,
Brithenig, the starting point of Ill Bethisad, simply applies slightly
modified sound changes of Welsh (starting with Proto-Celtic) to Latin.
Most other Ill Bethisad Romance languages work the same way: Breathanach
uses the sound changes from Proto-Celtic to Irish; Wenedyk those from
Proto-Slavic to Polish; my own Roman Germanech (no longer in Ill
Bethisad, but originally meant for it and very much in that spirit)
applies the sound changes from Proto-Germanic to German. I have grown
out of that!

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf