On Feb 2, 2018 18:00, "David McCann" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:12:48 +0100
Jyri Lehtinen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Possession also turns a noun phrase definite, so if you have a
> possessive structure that looses all reference to any possessor, what
> you have left is marking for definiteness.

For you and me, yes, but not in all languages: Italian uses the article
Il mio libro "My book"
Un mio libro "One of my books"

You can say "mia madre" (after all, you only have the one mother), but
an adjective drags the article in: "la mia cara madre".

Same in (modern) Greek:
το βιβλίο μου: "my book"

But Greek goes further and does this with the demonstratives as well!
το βιβλίο αυτό: "this book"

The article is mandatory to make the phrase definite, even when a
demonstrative is used. In fact, in Greek the article is always used with
definite phrases, even when the noun is a proper name. Only vocative
phrases can be definite without the article.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org)

Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com
Personal Tumblr:  http://christophoronomicon.tumblr.com

Sent from my phone. Sorry for the potential typos and autocorrect errors.