I lurk, mostly, but I figured I'd share my story as well.

My first real exposure to conlangs was through Tolkien's work. I saw the
first two movies (the third hadn't come out yet) and was immediately
obsessed and wanted to read/watch everything about Tolkien that I could get
my hands on. I watched every documentary I could find on the making of the
movies, which included some lengthy segments on the languages, and devoured
the information in the Appendices on the languages as well. (I was a little
young to have figured out the "just google it" thing, so I never found the
online communities for Tolkien until much later, unfortunately.)

I've always been a writer and a conworlder, so I decided I was going to
create my own epic fantasy world, just like Tolkien had. And obviously, if
you were going to create an epic fantasy world, you needed languages to go
in it! So I started inventing my own "Elvish" language. I was 11 at the
time. I'm sad to say that somewhere in the multiple moves I've made since
then, I lost that original sheet which had my first words written down...
I've looked for it more than once and haven't been able to find it. I can
still picture it, though! I'm still a little proud of my previous self for
deciding that "goblin" was going to be an Elvish compound composed of
"gob-" and "-lin" (which I believe meant "evil" and "warrior"
respectively). I still think that was pretty clever of 11-year-old me, who
had no linguistics knowledge at all. (I knew a little Spanish, but that was
it.)

I never really did much with this language, and over time, the world it was
set in changed dramatically. (it went from a very boring "epic fantasy"
world to an urban fantasy world set in modern times, for one) Then, in high
school, I took Spanish classes and became fascinated by how languages
worked. I was learning all these new terms like "past perfect" and
"imperative" and realized that you could analyze English in a lot of the
same ways too. And it got me interested in inventing my own language again,
where I could use these building blocks to build up an entirely new
language that wouldn't quite be like either English *or* Spanish. I found
zompist's Language Creation Kit and used its advice, but still didn't know
a lot about language, so it was quite relexy. This language used some of
the same vocabulary from the original version, and I called it "Tirina", a
name it still goes by today.

Eventually I hit college, where I took my first actual linguistics classes.
And that set me off on conlanging all over again, with a complete overhaul
of Tirina to something that actually resembles its modern form. In the six
years since then, Tirina's continued to evolve, and I intend to keep on
evolving it into the future. But all these years later, <len> still means
"warrior"!

*tl;dr: *Tolkien in middle school, Spanish class in high school, and
linguistics courses in college. Put it in a blender and you get conlangs.