I am not sure. Itlani has both. The definite article is *ta *(the). The
word "this" is *iíd *and the word "that" is *idá. *They are distantly
related I think but I am not sure how.

My suggestion would be to try out your proposed solution is as many sample
situational sentences as you can and see if any apparent ambiguity arises.

Itlani Jim