So when I was growing up back in the '60s and '70s, the brand names of pharmaceutical drugs all had pseudo-Latin-sounding or pseudo-Greek-sounding names ending in -ide, -one, -aine, -ol, -ase, -ace-, -in,  -yn, -ex, -ax, -ox, -il, -al, etc.  However, I've noticed in the past decade or two, as the Baby Boomer generation slides into increasing decrepitude and U.S. television channels are inundated with advertisements for new drugs for all sorts of maladies, many of these newer drugs have some fantastically absurd names.

I decided to do a little research and found a website called rxlist.com which lists every drug name by both generic name and U.S. brand name.  It's alphabetized and I got only as far as the A and B pages before reaching the conclusion that U.S. pharmaceutical companies must be hiring conworlders and conlangers to come up with names for new drugs.

Just looking at names beginning with A and B, one can see these newer drug names seem to fall into various categories:

New-found Hindu gods or new branches of Indian philosophy/religion:  Acanya, Ayuna, Auvi.
Faux italian names:  Alfrezza, Alesse, Alora, Aubagio, Belbuca.
Pseudo spanish:  Albenza, Alfenta, Ameluz, Amitiza, Arzerra, Bavencio, Vidaza, Treanda, Austedo.

Looking randomly elsewhere through the database revealed the names of newly-discovered African legendary heroes:  Oseni, Kazano, Nesina, Feiba, Bendeka

...as well as would-be Star Trek alien races, character names, or planets:  Xerese, Acthrel, Humira, Actemra, Zytiga, Aldara, Valturna, Ridaura

...and of course, the names of scores of unpublished conlangs:  Otezla, Eylea, Addyi (how do you even pronounce this one?), Cyltezo, Akynzeo, Alimta, Alinia, Aliqopa, Tekamlo, Zemaira, Ampyra, Aloxi, Yosprala, Reyataz, Sirturo, Fasenra, Ulesfia, Survanta, Atelvia.

There are hundreds and hundreds more in the database, so if you need inspiration for what to call your next comic-book race, planet, or conlang, check out rxlist.com.

--John Q.