On 15 Feb 2018 17:29, "Raymond Brown" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 15/02/2018 17:01, Tony Harris wrote:

> Possible.  Although didn't Wulfila invent a script for his Gothic
> translation, and before Cyril and Methodius did their script and
> translation for the Slavs?

Yes, indeed, by about five centuries

On 02/15/2018 10:58 AM, Kevin Walker wrote:

>> If Hildegard is the unofficial patron saint of conlanging, should Cyril
>> and Methodius be patron saints of conscripting?  I ask because yesterday
>> was (among other things) their commemoration day in western churches.

The trouble is that, unlike Cyril and Methofius, Wulfilus is not
regarded as a saint.  Indeed his brand of Christianity is now reckoned
as heretical by all main-stream churches.

In order to adhere to the NCNC code we had, I think, best avoid Wulfila.
 A much better candidate IMO is _Saint Mesrob_ who is invented the
Armenian alphabet around 405 AD and is also credited by many for
inventing the Caucasian Albanian and Georgian alphabets.

His feast is kept by the Armenians on Feb. 19th and by the western
Churches on feb. 17th

This is a charming suggestion, but the very idea of nominating a patron
saint seems to trespass (rather innocently) into NCNC. I mean both the idea
of patron saints and perhaps also the idea that we may nominate one.
However, I have neither any strong objection to the occasional divagations
into NCNC nor the wish to police them.

--And

Ray