>> Clearly the Ingvaeonic settlers in Britain would have preserved [θ] in
>> BART just as they did in OTL.  So it could be argued that just as in
>> OLT [θ] and [ð] survived in the Germanic language of Britain (i.e.
>> English) while continental Germanic languages lost these sounds, so
>> in BART [θ] and [ð] were retained in the Romance language of Britain,
>> i.e. Britainese, but not in many of the continental Romancelangs (tho
>> infact as we have seen some Romancelangs do have [θ] and [ð], but not
>> in Germanic borrowings)?
> I suppose it depends on how bilingual they were. Did the Romance
> speakers really master Ingvaeonic, or did they make a mess of it? I
> championed /θ δ/ the other day, but I should have admitted that they
> didn't survive in Gaelic. Their survival in English may be aided by
> their heavy use in demonstratives and pronouns.
This, I think, is the key question regarding whether or not Britainese
gains /θ/. Whole phonemes tend to be loaned only in fairly close contact
situations, though the possibility of creating a /θ/-/ð/ opposition
might ease the loaning a bit. If contact between Britainese and the
Germanic people in Britain doesn't involve a degree of widespread
bilingualism, and especially since British Germanic would have lower
prestige attached to it than Britainese, I doubt we'd see a whole
phoneme loaned across. It's much more likely, IMO, that we'd see the
same as what happened in French, namely, realising Germanic /θ/ as /t/
(or perhaps /s/ or /f/, if you want to be different; I'm not sure what
factors would affect the choice).

I'd expect a Britainese with /θ/ to have influence from Germanic in a
fair number of other places throughout the language.

---
このメールは、AVG によってウイルス チェックされています。
http://www.avg.com