On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:37 AM, And Rosta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 20 February 2018 at 13:52, Mike S. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > In English grammar, the merged accusative-dative case of certain pronouns
> > is sometimes called the objective case.  Does any apt term spring to mind
> > for a case in a language that merged the dative and the genitive?
> >
> Oblique.
> --And.

Thanks.  That's the best choice I can think of.  The problem with "oblique"
is that I would like reserve terminology to contrast core and oblique
arguments, and the use of "oblique" to refer to a core case would be
confusing.  I think I am stuck with "objective" for my third case.

Random trivia: the word "obliquative" has an odd use in a grammar
of Navaho. Quote:

*Obliquative*: a term used to describe a 3rd person pronominal form in
Navaho, wherein the 3rd person subject is expressed as acting upon a 3rd
person object, and both subject and object are represented in the same
syllable yi-.  Thus, yiyą́, *he* is eating *it*.