Ah you are asking if non-restrictive adjectives exist. I thought you were assuming their existence. I think all the posters after you (the original) assumed they exist … OK, I understand.

I am pretty sure they don’t exist … in any language that I know of anyway.

Lets give an example (to keep us grounded in reality instead of flights of fancy which some latinate term might send us) …

Say I was telling an amusing story about a/the “big black dog” and a/the “small white dog”. Half way through the tale I wouldn’t suddenly give the information that the big dog was angry by mentioning “big black angry dog”. I would posit that the reason for this is … if something is worth saying it is worth saying properly. To slip in “angry” does not give enough “phonetic weight” (my term). A seperate clause or a relative clause such as “the black dog which was angry” or “the black dog which was very angry by the way” gives sufficient weight to this extra bit of information you are adding.

Relative clauses and adjectives have similar rolls is sentences. But usuage is not identical. For example often the easiest (or only) way to refer to an individual on the very edge of your social circle (i.e. knowledge) is to use a relative clause whose main concept is a verb (as opposed to copula + adjective) … i.e. “that guy who kicked my dog”

Now I am going to contradict myself … but I think this is a very minor usage and doesn’t nullify my main argument. Sometime during the tail I could suddenly refer to the “small shitty white dog”. However “shitty” is not really giving more information about the dog … rather it is showing that I disapprove of the dog or something that the dog done. A swear word is a bit “throw away” word … not on the same level as a normal adjective.

… Stewart