Dear Matthew,

I agree, these are two different discussions.

Concerning your no 1): Where did you attach @type? It isn't allowed on
<msPart>. I thought that msPart/physDesc/objectDesc/@form is a proper place.

We use an ODD with this list of values for @form: "codex, fascicle,
leaf, scoll, other"

I would support your idea of having two descriptions. (As for example,
we would provide two different manifests using IIIF.)

But as I mentioned yesterday, this practice would result in one
description having msPart to describe the fragment, the other one using
msFrag. There would be two different @xml:ids, making it difficult to
understand that the two items are the same. Maybe/hopefully/only the
identical msIdentifier should make clear it's the same item. Which
leaves us with the question: If what we want to say is expressed by
msIdentifier, why then have different parent elements?

Best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen