Dear colleagues,

this morning a colleague of mine who's cataloguing medieval manuscripts
at the library came up to me asking whether it (still) isn't possible to
encode lines and line groups in incipits etc.

Which brought me back to the archive of tei-l and I recalled the
discussion we had already in 2013.
(<https://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=tei-l;36a13903.1309>).

The question I have: Has a "formal" decision been taken, e.g. by the
Council, whether my request or Martin's arguments against were the
"right" way according to the general TEI ideas? I would like to see such
a decision in order to (re)solve the the issue.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned in the discussion so far: Although
<incipit> et.al. are elements used on the metadata level, they
anticipate the full-text transcription. In the catalogues, the incipit
does *not at all* contain normalized or synthetic information but is
purely transcriptional. Thus they should be able to have those children
used in transcriptions. The synthetic information is called "initium"
(in German) and can be found in a special index in a catalogue.

I have to admit, that because of this last fact, I agreed with my
colleague that right now we use <quote type="incipit"> and nested <lg>
in the manuscript description in order to represent the content and the
textual structure of the manuscript in the right way and nonetheless
achieve a valid TEI document. It's a vote with one's feet but that's
maybe how theoretical discussions in the TEI and practical use of the
Guidelines relate to each other? And seen from the point of view of a
manuscript cataloguer there's no point in not allowing <lg> etc inside
of <incipit>.

Curious, best, Torsten

--
Torsten Schassan - Digitale Editionen, Abteilung Handschriften und
Sondersammlungen