Hello all,

This is mostly a re-hash of the thread with minimal extras.

It appears to me that the implicit model here has, minimally, a domain
(e.g., an episode) and a set of characters with some kind of
"prominence" feature, which is active either within the domain, or which
holds of domain+character pairings. The entire thread suggests to me
that a more universal approach would involve a hierarchy of domains (an
episode consists of interactions, and "prominence" may change between
one and the other, and there may be flashbacks to episodes/interactions
with their own "prominence" values that nevertheless do not affect the
prominence at the level of the entire episode).

(I'm sure I would be inclined to pick on, if not to gnaw at, the
definitions of "primary" vs. "secondary", so I'm conveniently putting
that aside and using Michael's "prominence".)

In terms of serialization, this could be done by taking Lou's idea to
encode the primaries and secondaries in attributes with multiple pointer
values within the serialization of each potential domain, where relevant
or applicable. This could extend to what Ondine has remarked on, namely
to situations in which you want to point outside the current cast. If a
new class of such two attributes would be too much to ask for, some of
Michael's proposals would offer a ready alternative (an extension of the
cast list to also mention the "absent ones" could probably be disputed,
but both the particDesc and standoff approaches would I think handle
that easily). I have to say, though, that I am not sure how Michael's
suggestion would handle the relative hierarchy of prominence... in the
sense that I mentioned above, where you have flashbacks or
scenes/interactions with different prominence that do not affect the
current episode's overall prominence structure -- that might be
difficult to express in the particDesc.

I've tried to push this towards generality, but I HTH in this particular
case as well.

Best wishes,

    Piotr