Or why not use @facs ?

On 18/03/18 04:33, James Cummings wrote:

Martin,

Sure, if I wanted to be explicit in my example I might use @corresp as you suggest pointing between the two. I tend to just use unspecified loose correlation by ID numbers myself. So if I have Volpone001-facs and Volpone001-text I'd document that in the project notes and write the processing to assume that every $ID-text had a corresponding $ID-facs or something similar to that.  But actually pointing at it with corresp would be much clearer (and also enables the ability for you to keep facsimiles and texts in separate documents, at separate URIs if you wanted to be all distributed about it).

Best wishes,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [log in to unmask]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University

From: TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Martin Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 March 2018 03:58:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a question about surfaceGrp

Thank you, James.  What you suggest was actually my first thought, but then I thought it couldn’t possibly be that simple. So you have a sequence of facsimile elements, each of them mapped to a text child of group through some explicit linking, e.g.@corresp.  If you want to treat the text as separate documents (Volpone, Catiline etc. in the Jonson folio),  you just combine the relevant facsimile with the relevant and do something about the header.

As long as there is some explicit link between the facsimile and corresponding text elements, the use of surfaceGrp doesn’t really buy you anything. Or does it?