I kept seriously thinking, "It's going to wind up that the aliens are trying to communicate with the canary." Like Star Trek IV with the whales. Now, those were some smart aliens! (During long scenes with Adams and Renner it would get like "Surely the Russians/Sudanese/Chinese/Japanese are having better luck. Surely.")

________________________________
From: Constructed Languages List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of A Walker Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:27:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: "Arrival" the 2016 film

LOL There was a thread right about the time of the release. It seems like
Alex, or maybe Sai, was involved, or maybe even started it. I don't
remember much about the content, and may have been putting of reading the
thread until I saw the movie, which I did after it came out on video. I
felt much like you. I wanted to strangle SOMEbody. Not another Sapir-Whorf
rehash. It's been done. It's not fresh. It's not cutting edge. It isn't
even valid.

Adam