Greetings PEM Colleagues,

I hope that you are all experiencing a bit of post-winter relief.  Would some of you be willing to share your department and institution’s creative solutions to winter space and throughput challenges?

During our winter peak, we often have a large inpatient boarder census. We attempt to direct bed and "swarm" in the morning. We also utilize hallway beds, a triage doc, and occasionally flip patients with pending labs/x-rays back to the waiting room. We also perform waiting room rounding/updates during evening hours.

Any additional solutions to create extra space or expedite flow would be very helpful. Thank you so much for sharing your strategies.

Sincerely,
Rachel Tuuri

Rachel Tuuri, MD, FAAP, FACEP
UNM PED Medical Director