No such thing as being late for a thread.
Charlie

----- Original Message -----
From: Tony Harris <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: case systems in your languages

I'm a bit late to this party, but...

Alurhsa has a case system that on the surface looks quite
Indo-European.  6 cases, nominative-accusative style.  However, the
cases are actually directional more than anything else, so what they
reflect is:

Nominative: Actor
Dative/Allative: Towards
Accusative: Against/Impact
Locative/Genitive: At
Instrumental: Through/Throughout
Ablative: From

The above is also the order in which native grammarians list the cases.
In using them, the case is selected by the motion or direction in
relation to the object.  So for example, anything moving towards the
object, including benefits that the object might receive, uses the
dative.  Describing something as passing through the object, such as the
actor's energy passing through something that is being used as a tool,
and including duration of time when you're talking about something
happening during an entire period, uses the instrumental (must be
another name for that case that's more accurate... suggestions?).  The
accusative is seen really as an impact, like a wave crashing against a
seawall, and so certain prepositions that reflect an impact or effect
rather than a location or motion per se take the accusative.