English actually also lets you separate these out, though it’s less natural: I sent Jim the ball by kicking it.

It struck me that the more obvious rewrite simply adds the dropped preposition: I kicked the ball to Jim.

In English, when  you drop a preposition, a lot of time it repositions the natural location of the object.