Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I had actually thought about the comparison to function calls in computer programming, but I don't really consider that "intuitive" since I don't imagine non-programmers would ever think in that way. The notion of sentences flowing from topic to commentary makes sense, though. Whatever is most important in a speaker's mind is most likely what they are going to bring up first.

But I'm still on the fence as to whether to keep my conlang's default as VSO or SVO.

* Michael - [log in to unmask]