My gateway to ODDs here in North America was, like so many other TEI things
here, via Syd and his wonderful bank of WWP slides, but I’m hoping we’re
expanding with more opportunities and more instructors lately. My undergrad
students and I work on ODDs as soon as they decide their XML project should
be done in TEI (a call I let them make, after explaining something of why
the TEI might matter for them). Since my course teaching is primarily about
building and processing XML, and I want to spend a lot of time on the whole
“XML family of languages” so they know how to process it, I have trouble
finding time to do a generalized ODD module. HOWEVER(!) I also think one
*really* learns to write ODD on a project-by-project basis, and my students
become eager to learn it in the context of having to formalize their
decisions on elements and attributes, whether and how these need to be
customized for their purposes. The thinking process is what I value here
because it forces us to be deliberate in our decision making—and helps us
to recognize brittle ad-hoc solutions if it’s a matter of review and
thoughtful discussion.

I’ve been compiling ODD training resources (with lots of Syd’s
stuff—thanks, Syd!) and samples here on my teaching GitHub repo wiki:
https://github.com/ebeshero/DHClass-Hub/wiki/TEI-ODD:-Schema-Prep-Resources-for-TEI-in-Projects

 Because these are designed for 15-week undergrad semester course projects,
the samples here aren’t terribly involved, which also makes them easy to
pull out as models of something or other, like when you might want to try a
Schematron rule, etc. I hope the little collection of resources here may be
of use to others!

Cheers,

Elisa

--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD
Director, Center for the Digital Text | Associate Professor of English