Didn't read the previous thread, so please forgive me if I'm hitting
things already covered.

 1) The page begin should typically be recorded outside the <div>
    that indicates the preface, not inside.

 2) The page number (as written on the page) should be recorded in
    <fw>, not <ab>.

 3) The @corresp attribute is a pointer, not matcher. So in this case
    it should start with a sharp: "#KMG2Pref1".

Thus something like

| <pb xml:id="KMG2Pref1" n="01"/>
| <fw type="pageNumber" style="text-align:center;">- 1 -</fw>
|   <!-- ... -->

might do you well. Here the pb/@n gives you the page number as
counted, and the content of <fw> gives you the page number as it
appeared on the page. The use of fw/@style allows you to say that the
content was centered in the original, but there is absolutely nothing
wrong with your use of <space> to indicate how much horizontal space
precedes the page-number-as-written; I was just taking this
opportunity to show an alternative approach.

Same with my use of head/@style to show that "Preface" was in all
uppercase characters in the original: absolutely nothing wrong with
just recording it as "PREFACE". The mild advantage of the encoding
above is that I get to print it in title case ("print me the content
of <head>") or in all uppercase ("print me the content of head, but
apply the @style, too").