Hi all,

If I can just play devil's advocate for a moment and note that the conversation here has focussed primarily on active digital editing for the creation of new digital editions whereas the TEI Guidelines for text critical apparatus are intended to cover a wider range of representation of critical editions in digital form. The entire reason for the existence of some of the recommendations in that chapter (as obviously in need of revision as it is) is not just for the creation of new digital editions where the <app>s are being created by a loving and caring editor, but also for the retrospective conversion of existing print editions (and related materials) or legacy data migration in all sorts of forms and formats.

I've been thinking a lot about the use of modal verbs in the TEI Guidelines because I've been getting around to issue #1175 and going through and checking these. (I've mostly been focussing on when we say 'should' and double checking that this is not something that is in fact required by the TEI and should say 'must'.) The TEI Guidelines have said that you 'may' do this which you'll note in the Style Guide http://teic.github.io/TCW/tcw24.html means that it is entirely optional whether you do it or not.

===

MUST
This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that this is an absolute requirement of the TEI Guidelines for production of a TEI conformant file.

MUST NOT
This phrase, or the phrase "SHALL NOT", mean that this is an absolute prohibition of the TEI Guidelines for production of a TEI conformant file.

SHOULD
This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular recommendation, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

SHOULD NOT
This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behavior so described.

MAY
This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that a recommendation is truly optional. One user may choose to follow the recommendation because a particular project requires it or feels that it enhances their work while another project may choose to not follow this recommendation.
===

Changing this to 'should' or 'recommended' means that while a project may ignore this they are doing so in full knowledge that we recommend against it. My central worry is that I fear projects have used the 'empty <rdg> means this witness is silent at this point' while others that have used the 'not having an <rdg> for that witness means it does not have this bit of text'. Changing this to a 'should' kick those projects out of the fold of doing things 'properly'.  Moreover, suggesting that the way to do this is to have an empty element rules out other methods that may have resulted from retrospective conversion or legacy data migration. For example, those where <rdg> elements whose only content was a <note> element detailing some information about this witness having omitted this bit of text or something similar.

For the record, I agree that in creating a new scholarly digital edition that I personally would use an empty <rdg/> (and would also not use a <lem>) but before making this change I'd spare a thought for those who have taken the TEI at its word that this behaviour is entirely optional, or those doing some form of conversion in the future who may not be able to determine whether a witness is missing or not from an <app> because of the nature of their source media or format.

Your friendly neighbourhood devil's advocate,

James

--

Dr James Cummings, [log in to unmask]

School of English Literature, Language, and Linguistics, Newcastle University