Thank you Gerrit and Davide,

the solution in the Guidelines, the one linked by Gerrit, definitely
look like the most appropriate semantically. But I think I'll follow
your advice and go for something like

> <subst hand="#unknownhand" cause="correction">
>     <del rend="nostrikeout">reusis</del>
>     <add  place="margin" type="correction">
>         zeusis
>     </add>
> </subst>

because this would make the encoding of such cases more consistent with
simpler cases like

>> <subst hand="#unknownhand" cause="correction">
>>     <del rend="strikeout">reusis</del>
>>     <add  place="above" type="correction">
>>         zeusis
>>     </add>
>> </subst>

...and the processing software much simpler.

Two smaller notes: possibly @cause="correction" is redundant, as all
<subst>'s in the text are corrections.

Also, not all renderings of deletions are strikeouts (rasurae are also
very common), so maybe, instead of <del rend="nostrikeout">, I could use
<del rend="nomark">, or even <del rend="metamark">?

In fact, an asterisk or another metamark are written above the original
word (in fact, both above the original word and above the word in
margin). And that metamark has the function of "deleting" (abolishing,
so to speak) the original word.

Best,
Paolo