Dear Paolo,

The Guidelines make mention of substitutions without visible deletions here:
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/PH.html#alter

However, if it is true that the first reading is not ultimately deleted, it
is also true that the second reading is not ultimately added (although it is
visible, unlike the deletion).
So if you use add, it is justifiable (if not preferable) to use a more
symmetric encoding than that proposed in the Guidelines, i.e., one with
subst, add and del with an appropriate attribute.

Best,

Gerrit

---
Dr. Gerrit Brüning
Freies Deutsches Hochstift | Historisch-kritische Edition von Goethes Faust
| beta.faustedition.net
Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main | Institut für deutsche Literatur und
ihre Didaktik | IG-Hochhaus 1.155