The Dropbox link doesn't work for me, but there's a locally archived version of this available at http://www.tei-c.org/Vault/Tutorials/mueller-index.htm (and linked from http://www.tei-c.org/support/learn/teach-yourself-tei/ ).  --Kevin

On 9/9/18 10:11 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:

Quite a few years ago I wrote a “very gentle introduction to TEI” and a few years ago I incorporated parts of it in an Introduction to TEI Simple, which ended up as the TEI simplePrint schema. You can see a rather crudely formatted version of it at https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjhulc0czcedxtx/TEISimpleIntroduction.html?dl=0. Its intended audience is scholars in Literature, History, or other disciplines who feel (rightly) that they really ought to know something about this, but don’t really want to find out.  So it may not do much from the person who comes from the IT end of the bridge and wonders what this text encoding fuss is all about.  It’s a very long and wobbly bridge.

I can’t quite refrain from adding that the TEI-Consortium, wonderful and helpful as it is in many ways ( and the listserv is a shining example) has never been very good at making this long and wobbly bridge easier to cross. On the other hand, like many difficult and useful tasks,  the doing of it is very boring.

From: "TEI (Text Encoding Initiative) public discussion list" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Vanessa Bigot Juloux <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 4:33 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: TEI-L Digest - 6 Sep 2018 to 7 Sep 2018 (#2018-158)

Hi,

In my last paper “A Qualitative Approach Using Digital Analyses for the Study of Action in Narrative Texts: KTU 1.1-6 from the Scribe ʾIlimilku of Ugarit as a Case Study” in a recent volume (Brill, July 2018), I tried to explain TEI and a few elements to neophytes (starts at p.163)—especially to non-digital practitioners. Thanks to Knowledge Unlatched award, it’s also in OA http://www.oapen.org/search?identifier=1000352;keyword=cyberresearch

Maybe it can be helpful.

Best,

Vanessa