Colleagues,

I just received the following from a local IT guy who is thinking about
checking out the TEI conference next week:

 > Hello Charles,
 > Can you recommend a good article on explaining what TEI is, for people
 > who don't already know what it is? :-) I poked around the conference
 > website, then the tei-c.org website. Then I started looking at the P5
 > spec, and now I feel like I've gone from descriptions that are too
 > high-level to too low-level!
 >
 > I guess what I am trying to grasp is: why TEI? What is the problem it
 > solves, that <mainstream alternative> does not.

I gave him a brief response, comparing the flexibility and granularity
of TEI to Latex, relational databases, etc. Can anyone recommend some
appropriate articles?

Regards,

Chuck

A. Charles Muller, Professor

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan