Hi all,

We're encoding some poems in English, some of which are translations of
original texts in other languages. We don't necessarily know the source
text ("Translated from the Greek" might be the only info we have, and we
don't have the resources to chase down all the actual original sources,
assuming they still exist). But we'd like to include information about
the language from which the translation was made, using IANA language
subtag codes, somewhere in the header. (Each poem gets its own TEI file
with its own header.)

I think the obvious place to do this is:

<derivation type="translation">[something in here...]</derivation>

The <lang> element looks like it should do the job here, but it seems to
be restricted to "etymological or linguistic" uses, which isn't quite
right; and in any case, adding @xml:lang to <lang> would apply it to the
content of the <lang> tag itself.

Has anyone dealt with this? Do you have any suggestions? Do we need
something like <origLang>, analogous to <origDate> and <origPlace>, to
record the language of origin of a text which is a translation?

Cheers,
Martin