Excellent questions. In reverse order:

 * Absolutely OK for <teiCorpus> to nest. (But more on this later
   off-list).

 * Where does the text say <text> cannot be in <teiCorpus>? In the
   old days it certainly was the case that <text> was not allowed.
   But in more modern times, if I understand correctly,
   model.resourceLike+ was added to the content model in order to
   accommodate the case of an <fsdDecl> or <facsimile> that applied
   to the entire corpus, and then separate transcriptions of each
   portion of the corpus (in a <TEI>). Have to think about whether
   <text> should be excluded from the content model, or included in
   the prose.