Dear list,
even though I have been working with the TEI for a couple of years I am
still uncertain about the function and role of the teiHeader versus a
critical introduction that as a rule precedes every serious critical
edition. I checked the archive of the list, but couldn‘t find any
discussion or recommendation about that matter, but might have
overlooked it. Currently we include the critical introduction in the
body of the edition (<body><div type=„introduction“>). This solution is
taken from examples of analog editions that are encoded according to the
TEI and where it is evident that all parts of the text including the
editorial introduction have to be represented in the digital version of
it either. However, when we turn to a born digital edition things are
less clear as we can populate the teiHeader with that kind of
meta-information. In addition, the teiHeader offers markup that is
especially designed and dedicated to describe that particular kind of
information whereas the critical introduction in the body would be less
normative. Accordingly, the critical introduction can be regarded as in
a way redundant to the Header or even superfluous. My question is if
there exists any recommondation about how a critical introduction shall
be treated in born digital editions. I feel a teiHeader should be there
anyway, but how is it to be distinguished from the critical introduction
or how can this relation of the teiHeader to the critical introduction
be defined? I'd be most grateful for any hint or recommendation.
Best
Thomas

--
Prof. Dr. Thomas Stäcker