Dear Matthew and David,

we indeed discussed in the Council and on the MS SIG since I remember it the need of broadening <msDesc> to become a text-baring-objects-desc (<TBODesc>) to conclude that <msDesc> (and indeed any <ms*> elements) should be used for all TBOs. Therefore the definition of <msDesc> has loosed its semantic and the <msItem> element may now contain elements that are normally found in a printed <titlePage>, such as, for instance, <docImprint>, <byline> and the like. To my knowledge <msDesc> is widely used in libraries to catalogue incunabula and other early printed books.
It is not an ideal solution, but we thought that backward compatibility was to be preserved in this case, considering the massive number of records already existing.

Best
Elena

__
Elena Pierazzo
Professeure d’italien et humanités numériques
Université Grenoble-Alpes - LUHCIE
Bureau Bâtiment 'Stendhal’ F307
BP 25 38040 Grenoble Cedex 9
Tel. +33 4 76828032