Dear Thomas,
the first thing to decide is *where* you are going to publish the
introduction for your digital edition, because some projects prefer to
have a dedicated web site which is actually separate from the actual
published edition; in the which case, you can have a minimal TEI header
since everything is published elsewhere. See for instance the Codice
Pelavicino Digitale:

http://pelavicino.labcd.unipi.it/

Note that in the digital edition proper you have *part* of a critical
introduction, since the content of the <msDesc> element is available via
the MS Desc button:

http://pelavicino.labcd.unipi.it/evt/

(very slow web server at the moment, please be patient).

We're considering supporting a full introduction to a digital edition in
EVT directly inside the latter, however, by expanding the "Project Info"
window. What would you think of that? Many scholars prefer a separate
web site, but I'm starting to lean towards the "everything in the
digital edition" solution.

Last note, if not in the header I would put such an introduction in the
<front> element.

Best regards,

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco   roberto.rossellidelturco at unito.it
Dip. di Studi Umanistici     roberto.rossellidelturco at fileli.unipi.it
Universita' di Torino        VBD: http://vbd.humnet.unipi.it/beta2/
EVT: http://bit.ly/24D9kdE   VC: http://www.visionarycross.org/

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)

<shamelessPlug>Holidays in Tuscany http://www.imoricci.it/</shamelessPlug>